It’s that back-to-school time of year again! And we know you’ve got lots on your list of To-Do’s. But before you’re off shopping for spirals or get swept away with the smell of freshly sharpened pencils and Scotch tape, don’t forget to add car care onto that list too!
Wondering what you should list on your care care checklist before heading off for school? Not to worry – our experts have you covered. Check out our car care guide below for the 5 auto essentials you should get crossed off your list before leaving for school this fall.
City Garage DFW Fall 2012: Back-To-School Car Care Checklist
- Tune-Up. This one tops our list. Not only is this essential every 12 months/12,000 miles (or at your car’s specified intervals) for optimum engine performance, longevity and gas mileage, but it includes several services your car could probably use before you hit campus. Service items included: visual inspection of engine components (a great way to detect any old, worn or torn parts as well as prevent any additional problems or complications), spark plug replacement, timing and idle set (if applicable), three-step fuel system cleaning (which includes your fuel injectors and improves your fuel system performance too) as well as air and fuel filter replacements (both of which have a six-month/6,000-mile warranty).
- Oil Change. This one’s also important. Depending on the type of oil change and your manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule, it may already be about that time. But no matter how many miles before you’re due in for your next oil change, here’s why this one made number two on our list: Not only are regular oil changes just as important as tune-ups when it comes to prolonging performance and increasing longevity, but they’re also one of the easiest ways to help your car hit the 150,000-mile milestone. Plus, when you come see us, we’ll recommend the right motor oil for your car (which could help you save some big bucks if you’ve been running on the wrong one)! And another plus, we’ll also perform a 30-point maintenance inspection with any oil change, FREE (And we know nothing beats that)!
- Tire Pressure & Tread. This one’s also pretty important, especially if you’ll be travelling long distances this fall. When it comes to your tire pressure, it’s got to measure up. Driving with over- or under-inflated tires could add years of wear and tear to them, or worse – it could lead to a blowout or an accident. And if your tires’ tread is already old and worn, you could wind up hydroplaning on slick, slippery streets. So, to sum it up, it’s an important to have your tires checked before you’re off at school.
- Emergency Car Care Kit. You never know when a0 car problem could pop up, which is why our auto experts think this one’s essential. Of course it’s always a good idea to be prepared for any problems you may come across, but especially when you’re new on campus. Items we suggest you carry in your kit include: bungee cord (good for holding down a broken trunk, keeping a door closed, etc.), cable ties, cones and road flares (in case of a serious accident or late night breakdown), duct tape, extra fluids (coolant, engine oil, transmission and washer fluids), fire extinguisher, first aid kit, flashlight and/or small lantern, jumper cables, paper and/or shop towels, screwdriver (we suggest a two-in-one), spare tire and tire jack, tire gauge and water bottles.
- Update Your Address. This one may be last, but it’s definitely not least. Whenever you move or change your contact info, it’s important to update your car manufacturer and insurance company with your new info. This way, they can keep you up-to-date with any news and important info as well as notify you if any safety alerts or recalls come up.
So, before you finish gearing up for Back to School, be sure you’ve got these 5 items crossed off your car care checklist.