While heading off to college brings exciting experiences and adventures, car trouble and expensive repairs shouldn’t be one of them.
Whether your car has 50,000 or 150,000 miles, here are some helpful tips to get your car in tip-top shape before you leave for school:
- First, Get A Tune-Up. Regular tune-ups every 12 months or 12,000 miles will help improve your gas mileage and engine performance. Our expert mechanics will do a thorough inspection under the hood, replace your spark plugs, clean your fuel system, and replace your air and fuel filters.
- Replace Old Parts. Don’t get caught with weak brakes or wiper blades during a downpour. Replacing worn parts could help you avoid an accident and save you money in the end. When you bring your car in to City Garage, we’ll check everything from your brakes and belts to your wiper blades for signs of wear and tear, cracks, leaks or blistering.
- Change Your Oil & Filter. Oil changes are essential to extending the life of your car and to keeping your engine running clean, smooth and cool. Although the general rule of thumb is every 3 months or 3,000 miles, be sure check your owner’s manual for your car’s specified intervals.
- Check Tire Pressure & Tread. Tire wear patterns are telling of improper inflation and worn suspension. Our tire service specialists suggest that you regularly inspect for cuts, punctures and any others signs of wear. It’s also important that your tires are properly aligned and balanced, so before you leave for school, be sure to stop in for a free rotation and alignment.
- Update Your Address. Contact your auto manufacturer, insurance carrier and roadside assistance provider to let them know of your change of address. It’s especially important that you update your dealership with this change so they can alert you of any safety recalls.
- Pack An Emergency Roadside Kit. Even if you have roadside assistance, be sure to keep a kit with emergency essentials. Good items to include are a flash light and batteries, a tire jack and spare, jumper cables, an assortment of tools, a first aid kit, paper towels, washer fluid, water, duct tape, blankets and some spare cash and change.
- Lastly, Don’t Wait When Warning Signs Appear. Problems will only continue to build if you ignore them and leave you in an unsafe situation. So, if you notice a shift in performance or an unfamiliar sound, be sure to come visit the expert mechanics at your local City Garage.
No matter how far you’ll be going this fall, be sure your vehicle is ready for every adventure ahead. Our ASE Certified Experts are here to help get your car geared up and ready to go – Stop by or schedule an appointment at your local City Garage today.
Also, be sure to check our Offers page for specials and savings.