Going away over Labor Day? You’re not alone! AAA expects this to be the third holiday this year with an increased number of drivers taking to the roads. According to AAA’s Labor Day travel survey, approximately 33 million Americans will be traveling at least 50 miles over the 3-day weekend (that’s a 2.9% increase from last year).
So, if you’re in this group, here are a few road trip travel tips to keep in mind before you hit the road:
- Fluids: Make sure to check and top off all your fluids. Be sure that this includes your oil, coolant, brake, transmission, power steering and wiper fluids.
- Tires: Check your tire pressure and tread. Poor pressure can lead to a rough ride or even a blowout! Properly inflated tires not only make for a better ride, but make for better gas mileage too. And when your tire tread gets low, they lose traction, and could cause you to lose control of your car on wet, rainy roads.
- Wiper Blades: Be sure that your wiper blades are new or in good condition. Old, cracked or worn wiper blades will leave behind streaks and debris, leaving you without a clear view. Since you can’t always predict the weather and you’ll be in unfamiliar territory, it’s a good idea to replace them if they haven’t been getting the job done lately.
- Lights: Check that all your headlights, tail lights, turn signals and brake lights are working, especially if you’re planning to do any late night driving. It’s important that other cars can see you and that you’re able to communicate with them as well.
- Documents: Remember to bring your license, registration, insurance cards, owners’ manual, contact info and any maps or directions.
- Spare Key: Bring a spare set of keys along, and keep them in a place you’ll always be able to access, just in case you find yours happened to get locked inside.
- Gadgets: And don’t forget to pack your GPS, phone and battery chargers, flash light, flares, car care kit and, of course, your camera!
If you have any worries or concerns before heading out, be sure to book an appointment and bring your car in to see us! We’ll make sure you’re ready to hit the road this Labor Day weekend!
We hope you have a great holiday weekend and smooth travels ahead!