- Avoid “riding” your brakes – it causes overheating. Instead, slow down with moderate pressure and release the brake to cool.
- Keep your wheels and braking system clean. Clean brakes work better and keep temperatures down.
- Check brake fluid level every 10,000 miles.
- When doing a complete brake job, refinish rotors and drums, replace brake pads or shoes, inspect, clean and repack wheel bearing and replace grease seal.
- Knowing the braking system does a lot of work and the brake pads take the brunt of the punishment. It is a good idea to have you brake pads checked every 6 months or when you suspect a problem.